Friday, February 12, 2010

I'm a dual citizen. I was told by an Army recuriter I'd lose my Cdn citizenship if i joined? Is this true?

I'm close to joing the USMC and my USMC recruiter is looking the info up, but hasn't gotten to me yet. Is it true I'd have to give up my CDN citizenship, which I was born with, to join the USMC?I'm a dual citizen. I was told by an Army recuriter I'd lose my Cdn citizenship if i joined? Is this true?
It does not appear that either country has a law that would force you to denounce your Canadian citizenship to join any US military service, however if you are required to hold a clearance your dual citizenship could complicate or prevent your clearance. See http://www.richw.org/dualcit/faq.html





Anyone that says the US does not allow dual citizenship is mistaken.I'm a dual citizen. I was told by an Army recuriter I'd lose my Cdn citizenship if i joined? Is this true?
It doesn't surprise me. If the U.S. and Canada ever went to war, whose side would you be on?





Frankly, I don't think anyone in the federal government should be allowed dual-citizenship. I have an itzy bitzy problem with politicians selling out our country for another country. A good example is Israel.
While Emily D is basically right (America does not recognise dual-citizenship) it no big deal to retain your current nationality if you have a Canadian (or whatever) passport. The U.S. does not ask for you former passport, so for all intents if Canada (or whatever) accepts dual U.S./Canadian citizenship you are free and clear. By the way, I have a friend who has high level clearance for both U.S. and U.K. He is a U.K citizen.
Tell the Marine Recruiter that he should not have to look that up at all-there is no requirement to be or want to be an American citizen to join the Marines. No you do not lose your dual citizenship status and if your were in the country legally and a Canadian citizen you would not lose your Canadian citizenship or have to become a dual citizen. I served in the Marines with many Canadians citizens, one West German (was a while ago), two British,one Israeli, one dual Panamanian-US dual and two South African citizens and I can think of none who became American citizens. The same is true of the other services but if you want to join go with the Marines. It might interfere with getting a high security clearance but I know two of the Canadians had Top-Secret (low level) based on jobs they had.
Yes, once you join either Military you will loose your other citizenship. But you shouldn't be worried about this because at 19 you need to choose anyways, and the one you don't choose you loose.
To hold a clearance you will. And to my knowledge, all Marines have to hold a clearance of some type.
No. You don't have to give up your Canadian citizenship. If you want to be an officer in the U.S. military you have to get U.S. citizenship. Why do you want to join the USMC? None of my business, just thought I'd ask. Canadian Forces also need good people.
As far as I understand it, you are either American or you're not. You can not hold dual citizenship in the eyes of the U.S. government. Losing your Canadian citizenship makes it offical to Canada that you are offically American and only American.

No comments:

Post a Comment